Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A LITTLE PRIVACY

LAST EMERALD


PHILLIP & WHIZZY TRILOGY (BOOK 3)
A LITTLE PRIVACY
Chapter2



I looked into the bathroom mirror.

I look awful. I thought to myself.

My eyes were red like I had been crying for days and my hair was a complete mess. Grabbing the nearest hairbrush from the drawer I started to tame my hair. Suddenly, I caught a frightening scent. My clothes were damp and smelled like Whizzy’s sweaty gym socks. Yikes!

I need to take a shower before Phillip thinks I’m some wild animal. I told myself. That was probably the best idea I’d had in some time. I needed to relax and unwind. The tension in my neck was causing me to hunch over. I just kept thinking about the poor helpless creatures of Mistasia and the awful things that King Cragon was doing to punish them now that he was back in power. Princess Merran was correct…we needed to get back right away. Every hour we waited here in Greenville, another day passed in Mistasia. Cragon wouldn’t wait very long to take his revenge.

The hot water from the shower felt great. It was definitely much better than the cold air in Mistasia. Stepping from the shower, I reached for my towel and quickly wrapped it around me.

I heard a creaking noise while I was drying my hair and quickly stopped. The door was slightly open.

“Whizzy!” I yelled, thinking my stupid brother had opened the door to let in a cool draft. He was always doing dumb things like that to make me mad. I made sure the towel was wrapped around me tightly and stuck my head out into the hallway to yell at him, but there was no one there.

I scoffed. Maybe I just hadn’t closed the door tightly enough. This was a very old house and the doors would sometimes creak open. Whizzy used to think it was haunted when we were kids. Pushing against the door harder, I heard it click. Then, I locked it…just to be sure.

When I turned around, I screamed. Standing in the middle of the floor was a small black mouse.

“Aevion! I’m naked,” I shouted angrily while pulling my towel close between my legs and crossing my knees.

The small black mouse was the same vampire bat that had taken us to Mistasia the day before. He had been sent back to Greenville with us when his parents, Goren and Vella, the leaders of the vampire bats, betrayed us. Sorcerer LaCroiux kept them under his control, which basically made Phillip, Whizzy and me Aevion’s parents now.

“I’m sorry, Rachel. The princess has requested to see you,” he spoke while staring at the floor and rubbing his tiny paws together nervously.

“This couldn’t wait until I was dressed?” I quickly reached back, unlocked the door and pushed him outside with my hand. He covered his eyes as I slid him across the tile floor and onto the carpeted hallway. “Give me five minutes,” I barked and then slammed the door.

I could hear him whimper and then scurry down the hallway towards my bedroom where Princess Merran was hiding.

Standing back in front of the mirror, I wiped away the condensation from the glass. My wet hair clung to my face, and my eyes were still red. There was a knock at the door.

“I said five minutes!” I snapped thinking Aevion had returned.

“Oh, I’m sorry, Rachel,” Phillip’s muffled voice replied through the door. “But I really need to go to the bathroom.”

My heart started to flutter when I heard his voice. It was very strange. Only a year ago I wouldn’t have cared if Phillip were here, but now things were different. He made me feel weird and I sort of liked it.

I took a deep breath, “Can’t you go downstairs?”

He didn’t respond immediately. “Ah…well. I’m not quite comfortable with that, Rachel,” He replied. “I had to borrow Whizzy’s clothes and they’re…well, a little small.”

I watched in the mirror as a smile crept across my face. I couldn’t help it. I had to see this. Phillip was over six feet tall and Whizzy was shorter than me. Reaching out for the door handle I could feel myself begin to giggle. I stopped to gather myself and then grabbed hold of my towel across my chest and cracked the door open slightly to peer out. Catching a glimpse of Phillip standing there with an orange t-shirt that looked more like a tube top, I burst into laughter. His belly button was staring at me like a creepy eyeball. He also wore Christmas-themed pajama pants with Rudolph and Santa faces all over them. These were also too short and barely covered his knobby knees. He stood with his hands and arms covering his body as if he were naked. It was the strangest and funniest thing I had ever seen. It was kind of cute.

“Oh my gosh, Phillip. What did my brother do to you?” I was laughing pretty hard now and his face began to turn bright red. “Phillip…you look ridiculous.”

“Can I go…please?” He begged as he danced on the carpet in his bare feet. “I’d go downstairs, but I can’t let everyone see me like this.”

“I’ll hurry; just wait right there.” I rushed back into the bathroom, finished drying off and hurriedly pulled on my night clothes…just an old t-shirt and sweatpants since I had long out grown the little girl night gowns. I didn’t even dry my hair, but pulled it back in a ponytail.

Phillip was still hopping around like a frog in the hallway when I opened the door. His dance was quite silly, and it added to how goofy he looked in my brother’s clothes. I so wished I had my phone to get video. The door slammed behind me, almost hitting my rear when I heard Phillip yell, “Thanks!”



In my bedroom, Princess Merran waited impatiently for my return. It was just like my mom would have done. Merran, a white cat, was curled up on my pillow with Aevion at the foot of the bed. She gracefully rose when I entered. The banished ex-queen was anxiously awaiting our return to Mistasia.

“Sorry I took so long…I was delayed, Princess,” I started to bow then felt silly, so I stopped and then stumbled. It was really awkward which I am definitely glad Phillip didn’t see…or my brother. Whizzy would have definitely made some joke about it. “What is it that you wanted to talk to me about?”

“Why does your grandpa wait to take us back to Mistasia, Rachel?” She was very forceful in her tone.

I was shocked to hear her so rude. That was not something she had ever done to me before.

“We need to return immediately!” She continued before I could answer.

“I know, Princess Merran. I want to go back too, but he said he wanted to wait until the morning when my parents are gone,” I replied.

The cat tilted her head in a peculiar way. I instantly knew that she didn’t understand why that was important.

“I fear that your grandpa has lost his courage, Rachel Whizzenmog.”

“No…no, Princess. We can’t just leave with my parents here. They will realize that we are missing. With my grandpa here, things are different. When it’s just Whizzy and me, we have the freedom to…go play. So our parents expect us to be missing for some time. It is normal. They believe that we are just playing with friends. If my grandpa is missing, that would worry them.” I wasn’t sure if that even made sense to me so I was pretty sure that Princess Merran would probably be confused.

“It’s like the difference between Grace and your servants at Cadieux Castle.”

Her ears perked up.

“When Grace isn’t at the castle you believe her to be off protecting it. When your servants are gone, you notice that there isn’t someone taking care of your needs.”

“Ah…I think I understand.” She paused for a moment. “Does that mean your grandpa is your parents’ servant?”

“No! No, I mean that he is someone that is expected to be around the castle and easily found when needed.” I responded.

“Oh…I see.”
“Princess, please. You must understand my grandpa will take us to Mistasia. I promise you that. He hasn’t lost his courage,” I added.

Copyright Held by: Christopher M. Purrett

Find More of this and other stories at the links above!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Purrett Productions - Art & Animation. Discover more at Purrett.com