Saturday, February 23, 2013

I DON'T WANNA GO TO SCHOOL

RETURN TO MISTASIA


PHILLIP & WHIZZY TRILOGY (BOOK 2)
I DON'T WANNA GO TO SCHOOL
Chapter 2



“Ugh! What is that sound?” I rolled over in my bed and opened my stinging eyes. My head spun like I had just been on an amusement park ride for days. My alarm clock buzzed its annoying tone. It was a cross between a fire alarm and an injured cat…mostly because I beat it viciously every time it went off. Swinging my arm like a hammer, I smashed into the clock and knocked it onto the floor. “I don’t wanna go to school.” I said that every morning…like it would magically change my fortune. It never did. I always had to go to school.

After struggling out of bed and getting dressed, I dragged myself to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

I stared into the mirror. My fiery hair wildly waved back at me with every movement. I hadn’t had a hair cut in about three months and so it sort of resembled octopus tentacles hanging off my head. Each eye blinked independently, and my eyelids felt so heavy.

“Toothbrush...Toothbrush? Where the heck is my…?” I searched through the drawers without luck. After slamming the drawer to my right in disgust, a voice startled me.

“Michael, sweetheart? You’re up early.”  It was my mother.

Early? I thought. I got up for school at this time everyday.

My mom stood in the bathroom doorway with a stunned look on her face.

“I’m getting ready, Mom,” I snapped.

“Michael Whizzenmog, you watch your tone young man!” She didn’t sound happy.

I didn’t even want to look her in the eye. She had a way of making me feel guilty about my attitude. The sensation of her glaring down at me burned the side of my neck. She waited patiently for an apology. I couldn’t take it any longer.

I exhaled, “Sorry, Mom.”

“Thank you, Michael.”

She disappeared from the doorway and walked down the hallway.

I opened the drawer to my left and found my toothbrush. As I reached for it, I heard my mom call to me from down the hall.

“Yeah, Mom?” I called as I poked my head into the hallway to hear her better.

“Michael, you know it is Winter break. You don’t have school today!”

My shoulders dropped and my toothbrush fell out of my mouth and onto the floor. I muttered inappropriate things under my breath so she wouldn’t hear. I had forgotten to turn my alarm off and now I was awake…way too early.

Two hours later my twin sister, Rachel, came bouncing down the stairs, happy and perky as usual.

“Morning, Whizzy!”

I just groaned as I lay with my head resting on the arm of the couch.

“Well! Someone’s happy this morning,” she responded.

“Your brother forgot to turn his alarm off,” my mom interjected from the kitchen.

Rachel just laughed and went in to join her.

I rolled toward the back of the couch and buried my face in the cushion. Shut up! I yelled into the couch.

“What’s wrong, Michael?”

“Nothing, Mom!” I quickly responded as I bolted up into a seated position.

Why does she have to be so happy? I wondered about my sister. I might still challenge the fact that we were actually twins. We don’t even look alike. She had long straight reddish-brown hair, green eyes and was about four inches taller than me. That’s right…my twin sister was taller than me. It is awful. People at school think she is pretty…Pretty? I don’t even want to go there.

It didn’t matter. She had been really nice to me this school year. We almost never talked in middle school. Now, after what happened in Mistasia last summer, she was different.

“Michael. Breakfast is ready!”

Well, at least Phillip will be here this afternoon!



Copyright Held by: Christopher M. Purrett

Find More of this and other stories at the links above!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Purrett Productions - Art & Animation. Discover more at Purrett.com