Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tony Horton's gift to my daughter

Tony Horton's Gift To My Daughter
  
  April 2009, My girl's slept after a long day of playing at the water park. It was my youngest daughter, Kyra's, 4th birthday. My wife had fallen asleep in my lap on the couch in a separate area of the hotel room. Spread out before us were the remains of a colossal meal complete with pizza, onion rings, burgers, fries and desserts galore. I was the only one awake, barely, as my gut was stuffed to its limit...beer in hand to top off the caloric assault upon my steadily increasing waist-line. This day had taken its toll on me. I was exhausted, so much so that I didn't even reach for the remote control to change the channel on the television when our show ended. That was when I met him for the first time...and it changed our lives forever.


 My relationship with my daughters has been something I have treasured. Starting with my oldest, Lea, whom I had the great honor of being able to stay home and care for when she was very young. Even back then, my struggle to control my weight was bothersome. It made the summer months unbearable, even in Michigan, so we remained inside much of the time to my wife's dismay. When Kyra arrived almost 4 years later, I had slimmed down a bit. It didn't last. My weight quickly increased as we settled into our new home and lives with the girls. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't obese, but i was easily winded going up stairs so chasing around even a toddler had become difficult.
 
Kyra & Dad - Christmas 2008

  As the girls got older we did as many families do...started venturing out on trips. Our goal was Disney World, however, Kyra was rather capricious so we needed to 'test the waters' so to speak. There were quite a few options, but water parks became our choice. The girls loved them, especially, Kyra. She would've climbed, swam and dashed about the park til this day if we allowed her. 
 Going to a water park wasn't necessarily my idea of fun at that point. My weight had reached its zenith. Chasing Kyra didn't help my situation. Then it happened...that energetic, humorous voice burst through the quiet hotel room as I lay lethargically upon the couch after celebrating Kyra's 4th birthday.
  I never watched infomercials, but my laziness aided trainer, Tony Horton, with a captive audience. I remember watching it and actually saying, "I think I can do that!" I had finally reached the breaking point. I was no longer going to allow ME to do this to my family. A few days later, I had purchased the program, and began to lose weight. Tony Horton became my personal trainer and I can attest to the betterment I have found just from getting in shape and eating better.
  My wife and I have always said to one another that "things happen for a reason." Apparently, that night I was supposed to meet the man that would change not only my life, but my family's FOREVER.  
  After only 3 months, I had lost twenty pounds. It had drastically changed my energy level and physical appearance, for the better. I continued to exercise and watch what I ate since that time and four years later I'm 35 pounds slimmer, but most importantly...have kept it off. 
 It slowly matriculated throughout our family. My oldest, Lea, was unfortunately graced with my family's body type, which also meant she would most likely go through a horribly awkward physical stage...heavy and round. It never happened. She remains active, a competitive dancer at the age of 11, but by that age I was deep into my first of many battles with my weight concerns. She has remained healthy and fit. Recently, my beautiful wive had her 'moment' like I had nearly 4 years before. In 3 months she dropped fifteen pounds.
  For two adults quickly approaching the dreaded 'hill' of life, we find ourselves in better health than when we started our family over a decade ago.
  




 Kyra will turn 8 this month. As usual, for her birthday celebration our family will be heading to the water park. It will be a far different experience for The Purrett's this time, there my wife and I will be playing with our girls, healthy and happily chasing them around, now and for years to come...thanks to Tony Horton and P90X.


Fantasy/Science Fiction Author - Stories available in paperback on Amazon
ebooks found on Nook & Kindle
Copyright 2013: Christopher M. Purrett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Purrett Productions - Art & Animation. Discover more at Purrett.com